Collection: The Lawrence Photograph Collection >> Quays, Derry City, Co. Derry [graphic]
Quays, Derry City, Co. Derry
|Main Creator:||French, Robert, 1841-1917 photographer|
|Published / Created:||
[between ca. 1894-1912].
Research by our Flickr Commons users established that the smaller vessel, nearest the photographer, is the Screw Steamer 'Harrier'. Built in 1892, she was torpedoed in 1943 (by U-boat U181). The larger steamer, just beyond, is the Packet Steamer 'Duke of York'. Built in 1894, she was renamed the 'Peel Castle' in 1911/1912, and pressed into service as an Armoured Boarding Vessel during WWI. The original date range we had for this photograph was ca. 1865-1914. Research by our Flickr Commons users narrowed this date to after ca. 1894 (Duke of York steamship came into service), and before ca. 1912 (Duke of York renamed).
Additional information about this photograph is available on the National Library of Ireland's Flickr Commons photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/41425473901/
Robert French was the chief photographer responsible for photographing three quarters of the Lawrence Collection. For more information, see the Dictionary of Irish Biography: http://dib.cambridge.org/viewReadPage.do?articleId=a3369
Physical description: 1 negative : glass ; 22 x 17 cm
Geographic Coverage: Derry City, County Derry, Province of Ulster, Ireland.
Caption on glassplate reads: The Quays. L. Derry. 2563. W. L.
|Contained in:||The Lawrence Photograph Collection|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|L_ROY_02563||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland