Collection: The Lawrence Photograph Collection >> Lighthouse, Sherkin Island [Co. Cork] [graphic]
Lighthouse, Sherkin Island [Co. Cork]
|Main Creator:||French, Robert, 1841-1917 photographer|
|Published / Created:||
Sherkin Island is located to the south west of Baltimore, Co. Cork. It is the second largest island of Carberys Hundred Isles, the name given to the islands of Roaring Water Bay. The lighthouse, on Barrack Point over Horseshoe Harbour, was built in 1885, and it is still operational today. The Baltimore Beacon is visible in the background, it is known locally as “Lots Wife”.
Robert French was the chief photographer responsible for photographing three quarters of the Lawrence Collection. For more information, see the Dictionary of Irish Biography: http://dib.cambridge.org/viewReadPage.do?articleId=a3369
Physical description: 1 negative : glass ; 17 x 22 cm.
Geographic Coverage: Baltimore, County Cork, Province of Munster, Ireland.
Caption on glassplate reads: Light House. Sherkin Island. 2609. W. L.
|Contained in:||The Lawrence Photograph Collection|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|L_ROY_02609||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland