Collection: The Stereo Pairs Photograph Collection >> [Cobh and Spike Island, Cork] [graphic]
[Cobh and Spike Island, Cork]
|Published / Created:||
Cobh, or Queenstown as it was known until 1922, was an important port for trade and military use. It was a major naval base for the British. Fort Westmoreland, a classic star shaped fortress, was built in 1792 to enhance the fortification of the harbour in conjunction with Fort Camden and Carlisle. The photograph shows the large fort and prison on Spike Island. It was the main penal prison in Ireland between 1847 and 1883, and convicts were held in the prison until they were transported to penal settlements in Australia. In 1883 the jail closed, but the fort remained in use by the military. It was used as a jail again when Irish political prisoners were detained here during the War of Independence. Spike Island was a Treaty port and the British military left in 1938. Fort Westmoreland was renamed Mitchell Fort, after one of the more well known prisoners Fenian John Mitchell and the prison was in use until 2004.
Physical description: 1 negative : glass, stereograph ; 9 x 18 cm.
|Contained in:||The Stereo Pairs Photograph Collection|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|STP_0303||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland