Collection: The Lawrence Photograph Collection >> Slievemore Hotel, Dugort, Achill [graphic]
Slievemore Hotel, Dugort, Achill
|Main Creator:||French, Robert, 1841-1917 photographer|
|Published / Created:||
The hotel, named after Slievemore Mountain, was originally part of the Achill Mission, or 'the Colony' at Dugort. A horse drawn tourist car is visible outside the hotel. There has been tourism on Achill since the late nineteenth century. The arrival of the trains and the romantic paintings produced by artists such as Paul Henry attracted tourists to the area.
Robert French was the chief photographer responsible for photographing three quarters of the Lawrence Collection. For more information, see the Dictionary of Irish Biography: http://dib.cambridge.org/viewReadPage.do?articleId=a3369
Physical description: 1 negative : glass ; 17 x 22 cm.
Geographic Coverage: Achill Island, County Mayo, Province of Connacht, Ireland.
Caption on glassplate reads: Slievemore Hotel. Dugort. Achill. 6798. W. L.
|Contained in:||The Lawrence Photograph Collection|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|L_ROY_06798||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland