Collection: The Lawrence Photograph Collection >> Lady's Island, Co. Wexford [graphic]
Lady's Island, Co. Wexford
|Main Creator:||French, Robert, 1841-1917 photographer|
|Published / Created:||
Ladys Island Lake, near Rosslare, is a salt water lagoon separated from the Atlantic by a sand bar. The island has been a place of pilgrimage for centuries, and since 1897 a public pilgrimage procession has been held on the 15th August. The castle was built in 1195 by Milo de Lamporte, a Norman Lord. A tower was added by his son Rudolph, but the foundations were not sound and it is now known as the leaning tower. The village is located at the north side of the island and connected to the mainland by a causeway.
Robert French was the chief photographer responsible for photographing three quarters of the Lawrence Collection. For more information, see the Dictionary of Irish Biography: http://dib.cambridge.org/viewReadPage.do?articleId=a3369
Physical description: 1 negative : glass ; 13 x 19 cm.
Geographic Coverage: Lady's Island, County Wexford, Province of Leinster, Ireland.
Caption on glassplate reads: Lady's Island. Co. Wexford. 6447. W. L.
|Contained in:||The Lawrence Photograph Collection|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|L_CAB_06447||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland