Mr. G. Fitzgerald. The Island, The Castle exterior
|Published / Created:||
Little Island is 3 miles downstream from Waterford City. Waterford Castle, former home of the Fitzgerald family, dates back to the 15th century. The first structure to be built on the island was a Norman Keep. By the 15th century, the ruins of the Keep were no longer habitable. A tower, the centre part of the present Castle, was then constructed on the site of the old Keep. Initially it was relatively modest in size but over the years was enlarged, firstly in 1849 by John Fitzgerald and subsequently in 1875 and in 1895 by Gerald Purcell-Fitzgerald when the east and west wings were added. Built entirely out of stone, these additions are now indistinguishable from the older structure.
Formerly at call number PWP2042
Physical description: 1 negative : glass ; 17 x 22 cm.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|POOLEWP 2042||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland