Letter from James Morley, Dublin, to John Morris and Sir Robert Clayton, in London,
1668 April 28.
|Main Creator:||Morley, James.|
Letter relates to a case about Robert Wallop's lands in Enniscorthy, County Wexford. Robert Wallop (1601-1667) was a member of parliament for nearly forty years, and one of the judges of Charles I (although he did not sign the death warrant). At the restoration after 1660 he was deprived of his estates and was imprisoned, and he died in the Tower of London on November 19, 1667. His confiscated lands were vested in trustees who found that rent had not been paid for the Irish lands. In 1668 an Irish court allowed Wallop's agents to re-enter the lands. Wallop had leased his Enniscorthy lands to an ironworks partnership.
Letter mentions the following people: Robert Greenewell who was overall director of Enniscorthy ironworks; William Belke (d. 1674) a relative of John Morris, worked for Morris & Clayton; Dr. Thomas Yates, Oxford don and one of the original partners in the ironworks; Timothy Stampe promoter of the ironworks, first agent and overseer of the ironworks, to whom in November 1667 the Irish Court of the Chancery awarded 4/11ths of the property of the ironworks.
|Citation:||National Library of Ireland. Department of Manuscripts.|
Address on verso signed in ms ink "These for his honorable friends Mr John Morris & Robert Clayton at their house in Augustine Fryars [sic] against the Dutch Church". With red seal plus inscription in ms ink "Mr. Morley, 28 April 1668".
James Morley was a lawyer in Ireland for the Clayton and Morris Co. from 1662 to 1674.
Clayton, Morris & Co., law scriveners, merchant bankers and estate agents, of the City of London was originally established in 1636 by Robert Abbot, and was taken over on his death in 1658 by his nephew and apprentice, Sir Robert Clayton, and another of his apprentices, John Morris. From its foundation in 1638 until the premises were destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666, the firm was based at the sign of the Flying Horse in the parish of St Michael's, Cornhill. It then moved to premises in Austin Friars, whilst purpose built premises were constructed in Old Jewry, to which the bank relocated in 1672.
Physical description: 1 sheet (folded) ; 29 x 20 cm.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|MS 41,646||Manuscripts Reading Room Special Access||Manuscripts|