Letters etc from Sir Roger Casement to O'Neill of Clandeboy,
|Main Creator:||Casement, Roger, 1864-1916|
(1) 25 Oct. 1904: Union Club, Belfast. Refers to Francis Joseph Bigger of Belfast. Books being collected by Casement for O'Neill. His stomach pain diagnosed as appendicitis. Plans to set up school in county Galway and other activities in support of Irish language. Hopes O'Neill will visit Ireland and visit Bigger. 2 sheets.
(2) Nov. 1904 [postmark]. Postcard. Has sent papers re Tawin School Fund but is not seeking a subscription. Hopes to talk with O'Neill in 10 days time.
(3) Printed item: "Appeal for a schoolhouse at Tawin, Co. Galway". At head, in MS, "With Roger Casement's compliments". Note by Casement at end. Also at head: "Answered | 11-11-04".
(4) 17 Nov. 1904: British Consulate, Lisbon. Casement is sending O'Neill 3 historical works on Ulster. Hopes to meet him soon.
(5) 28 Dec. 1904: c/o H.S. King and Co., 9 Pall Mall, London. Requests a Portuguese spinning wheel for John Horner of Belfast.
(6) 10 Feb. 1905: The Quay, Ballycastle, Co. Antrim. Sends newsclippings re death of Dowager Lady O'Neill. Refers to article in An Claidheamh Soluis on family names and to his own verses on Owen Roe O'Neill published in United Irishman. Still under care of surgeon although has left hospital. Is spending a few days with Bigger and hopes to go to Ballycastle tomorrow. 2 sheets.
(7) Casement's visiting card with 2 addresses in MS. [1904?]
|Citation:||National Library of Ireland. Department of Manuscripts|
Physical description: 7 items.
Presented to President McAleese by Hugo O'Neill of Clandeboy during her state visit to Portugal in 2002.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|MS 36,650||Manuscripts Reading Room||Manuscripts|