High Cross of Finglas
Brendan Scally 1975 (Nov.).
|Main Creator:||Scally, Brendan, 1921- artist.|
According to Brendan Scally in his notes accompanying this drawing: "This cross was lost after Cromwell's army passed by in 1641 on his way to Drogheda. It was pushed down and broken by the soldiery and as Cromwell was expected back. The parts of the cross were buried and forgotten. The Rev. Robert Walsh, one of a group of Protestant Antiquarians, discovered the whereabouts of the cross in 1816 and it was stuck together and erected in the graveyard of old St. Canice's Church".
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Title inscribed in pencil l.r..
Physical description: 1 drawing : pencil ; 35.1 x 25 cm..
Attributed to Brendan Scally, (1921-).
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|PD 4055 TX (1) 41||
|Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.