The Constabulary Force of Ireland. (Full and Undress).
P. Duffy del. ; J. Harris Sculp.
|Main Creator:||Harris, John, 1791-1873, engraver.|
Two constabulary officers at the Depot in the Phoenix Park, Dublin, Ireland. The figure on the left is a chief constable in full dress with shako cap and crimson sash. The figure on the right is in undress uniform and is wearing a "cheese cutter" forage with black shamrock braid. The Constabulary of Ireland came into existance in 1836. The Phoenix Park in Dublin was chosen to be the location of the new Constabulary Depot. Work started in 1839. The main buildings were occupied around 1842. A gravel parade ground was added, and a riding school for the mounted Constabulary built in 1845.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Dublin : Published July 5th by W. McCleary Wightman, Printseller & Artist's Colourman, 24 Nassau Street, [between ca. 1836 and 1845].
Physical description: 1 print : photomechanical print (colour) ; image 30.3 x 22.8 cm., sheet 54.3 x 38 cm..
Attributed to John Harris, (1791-1873), after an original drawing by P. Duffy.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|PD 3086 TX(8)2a||Prints & Drawings - Appt. only||Prints & Drawings|
|PD 3086 TX(8)2||Prints & Drawings - Appt. only||Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.