"The Old Firm" (but a new name)
|Main Creator:||Coll, artist.|
An old man wearing a spats and a top hat (with a note that reads "Die-hard" in the brim). He is shown painting out the word "Southern" from a shop front and replacing it with the word "Farmers" (he stands on a wooden platform with a bucket of paint beside him). In front of him on the shop window are signs saying "Re-opening shortly under entirely new name" and "Acts of Union our speciality". Beneath the shop window are the words "Dealers in Irish National[ism?]". A name plate to the left of the shop window bears the many names that this shop has borne such as "Southern Unionists Ltd", "Unionist Alliance" and "The English Garrison & Co.". All these names are crossed out and the words "Independent" and "Farmers Union etc." painted beside them. The year 1800 is displayed on the shop front. This cartoon is possibly a reference to the Farmers' Party, the political wing of the Irish Farmers Union.
|Published / Created:||
[S.l. : s.n., 1922].
Two copies of this item are held in the Department of Ephemera - one at call number EPH F295 (formerly at call number POL/1910-20/39a); second copy held at EPH F342.
Physical description: 1 print : lithograph; 58.1 x 68 cm..
Attributed to Coll.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|EPH F295||Prints & Drawings - Appt. only||Ephemera|
|EPH F342||Prints & Drawings - Appt. only||Ephemera|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.