To His Most Excellent Majesty George The Fourth King of Great Britain &c. &c. &c.
This Print representing his Majesty's Public Entry in to the City of Dublin on the 17th August 1821, is with Gracious and Special permission humbly dedicated by his Majesty's most faithful Subject, John Lushington Reilly /
Painted by J. Haverty after original sketches taken on the spot by J.L.R. Esqr. ; Engraved by R. Havell & Son, 3 Chapel St, Tottemham Court Road.
|Main Creator:||Havell the elder, Robert, fl. 1800-1840, engraver.|
A depiction of the visit of George IV to Dublin on August 17 1821 - he is cheered on by the crowds in the street and leaning out of windows of buildings at Great Britain Street and the junction of Cavendish Row and Sackville St. [now now O'Connell Street]. George IV is shown being personally greeted by the aldermen of Dublin city. A specially erected triumphal arch bearing the royal coat of arms with the words "Cead Mille Faltach" underneath it stands at the entrance to what was then the gardens of Rutland Square [named after Charles Manners, fourth Duke of Rutland and Lord Lieutenant 1784-87, who died while in office - this is now the northern side of Parnell Square, where the Garden of Remembrance is located].
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
London : Dublin : Hurst, Robinson & Co., Cheapside & Colnaghi & Co., Cockspur Street ; March 1823.
R. Milliken, Grafton Street, & Allen & Sons, Dame Street,
This image PD D24 was formerly held at NLI call number PD HP (1821) 2 (B); a second copy PD D24a was formerly held at NLI call number PD HP (1821) 3 and a third copy of this image, PD D24b which is cropped just outside of the plate mark [image 38.2 x 59.9 cm., cropped within plate mark, on sheet 48.8 x 67.8 cm] was formerly held at NLI call number PD HP (1821) 2 (A).
Physical description: 1 print : engraving ; image 38.2 x 59.9 cm., within plate mark 46.4 x 67.2 cm., on sheet 54.2 x 78.3 cm.
Reproduction Note: PD D24, Neg. No.: 22955 (col). ; PD D24a, Neg. No.: 22950 (col). and PD D24a, Neg. No.: 22953 (col).
Attributed to Robert Havell the elder, (fl.1800-1840) and Robert Havell the younger, (fl. 1820-1850), after a painting made by Joseph Patrick Haverty, (1794-1864), from original drawings by John Lushington Reilly.