The great telescope (of 52 feet focus. 6 feet clear opening of speculum) erected at Birr Castle in Ireland, by the Earl of Ross, President of the Royal Society
Lord Rosse directing the conveyance of the great speculum to its position at the base of the tube, north side /
on stone by W. Bevan ; from a drawing by Miss Henrietta M. Crompton.
|Main Creator:||Bevan, W., engraver.|
The third Earl of Rosse, William Parsons (1800-1867) directing the mantling of the reflector telescope in the grounds of Birr Castle, County Offaly, Ireland, in 1845.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
York : Printed by W. Monkhouse, [ca. 1845]
Formerly at call number 1583TC.
Physical description: 1 print : lithotint ; image 35.5 x 47.8 cm., on sheet 38 x 50 cm.
Citations/References: Catalogue of Irish topographical prints and original drawings, Rosalind M. Elmes. New edition revised and enlarged by Michael Hewson. - Dublin : Malton Press for the National Library of Ireland Society, 1975. p. 85.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.