Walker's Pillar, Walls of Londonderry.
W.H. Bartlett ; R. Wallis.
|Main Creator:||Wallis, Robert, 1794-1878, engraver.|
View of Walker's pillar which stands on the Royal Bastion, on the walls of Derry, Northern Ireland, with houses below the walls. The statue of Reverend George Walker, who was one of the leaders of the 1698 resistance, tops the pillar. It was blown off by the IRA in 1973. The restored statue now stands beside the Appprentice Boys' Hall.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
London : Geo. Virtue, 26 Ivy Lane, [ca. 1842].
According to Rosalind M. Elmes, this engraving is a plate to Samuel Carter Hall's "Ireland", 1841-1843.
Formerly at call number 312TA.
Printed text l.c. within plate mark: Colonne de Walker, Murs de Londonderry ; Walker's Saule unde die Mauern von Londonderry.
Plate in W.H. Bartlett's "Scenery & Antiquities of Ireland", Volume 1, page 58.
Physical description: 1 print : line engraving ; image 12.2 x 18.1 cm., within plate mark 16.5 x 18.8 cm., on sheet 21 x 25.4 cm..
Citations/References: Catalogue of Irish Topographical Prints / Rosalind M. Elmes. - National Library of Ireland, Dublin ; p. 15.
Attributed to Robert Wallis, (1794-1878), after an original work by William Henry Bartlett, (1809-1850).
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|ET B41||Prints & Drawings - Appt. only||Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.