Old Leighlin Ch. N: Wst: Aspt: Co Carlow Augst: 7th: 1792
|Main Creator:||Grose, Daniel, approximately 1766-1838|
View of Old Leighlin church, County Carlow, Ireland. This is the site of a 6th century monastic settlement founded by St. Laserian.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
August 7th, 1792.
Engraving of the east aspect of this building published as Plate 5 in Volume II of "The Antiquities of Ireland" by Francis Grose; publishers Samuel Hooper, No. 212 High Holborn, London, 1794 (not 1791 as stated on cover).
Inscribed in ink m.c. under title on verso of drawing: Reduced.
Inscribed in ink u.c. above title on verso of drawing: Plate 2d.
Inscribed in ink u.l. on verso of drawing: No. 63.
Inscribed in pencil m.c. on verso of drawing: Plate 2.
Inscribed in pencil u.l. on drawing: Old Leighlin N.W..
Title inscribed in ink u.c. on verso of drawing.
Watermark visible l.c.: J Whatman.
Physical description: 1 drawing : Indian ink wash & pen ; 24 x 33.5 cm..
Citations/References: Irish Topographical Prints & Drawings / Rosalind M. Elmes. - Malton Press for National Library of Ireland Society, 1975, p. 132.
Attributed to Lieutenant Daniel C. Grose, (ca. 1766-1838), who drew the East aspect of this church in 1792 also (this drawing was published in "Antiquities of Ireland").