An essay on the antiquities of Great Britain and Ireland :
wherein they are placed in a clearer light than hitherto. Designed as an introduction to a larger work, especially an attempt to shew an affinity betwixt the languages, &c. of the ancient Britains and the Americans of the Isthmus of Darien. In answer to an objection against revealed religion /
[by D. Malcolme].
|Published / Created:||
Edinburgh : Printed by T. and W. Ruddimans, and sold by A. Kincaid, 1738.
Mainly a collection of letters by the compiler and others.
Some of the letters dated 1739.
"Reissued in a greatly enlarged form as 'Letters, essays, and other tracts, illustrating the antiquities of Great Britain and Ireland ...' London, 1744."--Dict. nat. biog.
A series of sep. publications with a general title.
Library has: 2 (2 copies), 3, 4, 13, 15, 14, 10, 11, 12.
Physical description: 1 p. ℓ.,  p ; 21 cm. (8vo)
LO 14558: Comyn bequest.
Table of Contents:
- 1. Part of Begly's preface to an English-Irish dictionary : [with specimen, Bei-Bes]. (8 p.)
- 2. Focloir Gaoidheilge-Shagsonach : an Irish-English dictionary : [repr. from Lhuyd's Archaeologia Britannica, A-Archu]. (16 p.)
- 3. A tr. of the Irish preface, to Mr. Lhuyd's Irish dictionary. (24 p.)
- 4. A compleat tr. of the Welsh preface to Mr. Lhuyd's Glossography, or his Archeologia Britannica. (32 p.)
- 5. A letter to Archimedes the old Caledonian, etc. / [signed C. : p. 1-8, 31-32 wanting]. (48 p.)
- 6. Collection of papers, &c. / [letters signed David Malcolme and others]. (32 p.)
- 7. Some more papers. (8 p.)
- 8. To the H.G.V.E. : [begins Besides / signed C.]. (8 p.)
- 9. To W.M.E. of M. : [begins None / signed C.]. (8 p.)
- 10. To the H.G.V.E. : [begins You are / signed C.]. (8 p.)
- 11. To W.M.E. of M. : [begins In the / signed C.]. (8 p.)
- 12. To Mr. C.A.M.D.P. of S. in the C. of E. &c., &c. / [signed C.]. (8 p.)
- 13. To A.M. of D.E. (8 p.)
- 14. To H.E.J.G.E.G. of S.C. / [signed D.]. (8 p.)
- 15. To the H.S.A.M. of
- -. (8 p.).