View from Capel Street, looking over Essex Bridge Dublin
James Malton del. et fecit..
|Main Creator:||Malton, James, 1761-1803, engraver.|
According to Maurice Craig in his book "James Malton's Dublin Views" (The Dolmen Press, Dublin, 1981, p. 22), Parliament Street, first work of the Wide Streets Commissioners, made in 1758, is seen over Essex Bridge, leading to the Royal Exchange of 1769. Essex Bridge was replaced in 1874 by the present Grattan Bridge. The building to the left of the drawing behind the ship mast is the Old Custom House built by Thomas Burgh in 1707 and remained in use till 1791 when the new Custom House was opened.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
London : Published Oct 1797 by Jas. Malton, [between ca. 1803 and 1820].
Title printed l.c. within plate mark.
Physical description: 1 print : aquatint ; image 26.1 x 38.3 cm., plate mark 31 x 43 cm., on sheet 41.4 x 56.5 cm..
Citations/References: James Malton's Dublin views / Maurice Craig. - Dolmen Press, Dublin, 1981 : Plate 22.
Reproduction Note: Transparency.
Reproduction Note: Neg. Nos: 21460 (col), 20945 (col), R14472 (b&w), R15351 (b&w) & R15671 (b&w).
Attributed to James Malton, (d. 1803).
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|PD 3181 TX 139||Prints & Drawings - Appt. only||Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.