Collection: A Collection of Drawings of the Principal, Antique Buildings of Ireland >> A General view of Trim, in ye. County of East Meath, 20 M: from...
A General view of Trim, in ye. County of East Meath, 20 M: from Dublin Shewing [showing] A Newtown Castle, B Newtown Monastery, C King John's Castle, D The Yellow Steeple.
|Main Creator:||Beranger, Gabriel, ca. 1729-1817, artist|
View of the medieval remains at Trim, County Meath, Ireland, and the bridge across the river Boyne. The building with the letter "A" inscribed over it, is not "Newtown Castle" but the Hospital of St John the Baptist, founded for the "Crutched Friars" in the thirteenth-century. Across the river is the Priory of SS. Peter and Paul (see 1958 TX 61 for more details) and futher to the right are King John's Castle and the Yellow Steeple (see 1958 TX 87 & 88 for more details).
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
[between ca. 1770 and 1800].
Page number inscribed in ink u.r.: 86.
Title inscribed in ink u.c.
Physical description: 1 drawing : watercolour ; 22.6 x 28.7 cm.
Citations/References: Beranger's Antique Buildings of Ireland / with text by Peter Harbison. - Four Courts Press in association with the National Library of Ireland, Dublin 1998 p. 190-191
|Contained in:||A Collection of Drawings of the Principal, Antique Buildings of Ireland|
Attributed to Gabriel Beranger (ca. 1729-1817), after an original by Colonel Charles Vallancey (1725-1812).