The Castle of Ballymote, Barony of Corran 12 miles from Sligo - highest tower 55 feet high
|Main Creator:||Bigari, Angelo Maria|
View of the roughly square-shaped castle of Ballymote, County Sligo, Ireland, with a total of four drum towers, all but one of them on a corner. A human figure can be seen standing on the rubble in the nearest corner tower.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Title inscribed in ink on verso.
See 2122 TX (2) 36 for a copy of this drawing made by J.S. Cooper in 1794.
Bigari and Beranger were commissioned to undertak a tour of Connacht in the summer of 1779 by Col. William Burton (later Conyngham), who was President of the Hibernian Antiquarian Society, which had planned to publish one of more volumes of engravings illustrating Irish antiquities.
Physical description: 1 drawing : pen & wash ; 15.2 x 24.1 cm.
Original drawing attributed to Angelo Maria Bigari (fl. 1772-1779), who visited Ballymote on June 30th, 1779, with his friend Gabriel Beranger (1729-1817). This drawing may by a copy of the original drawing.
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|Coo 2122 TX (15)||
|Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.