Inscription on Sir Toby Butler's Monument in St. James's Church Yard. Over it his Bust in alto relievo, 1780
Inscription in Latin on the tomb of Sir Theobald Butler (1650-1720) in the churchyard of the church of St. James in Dublin, Ireland.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Subject of the inscription was Sir Theobald (Toby) Butler (1650-1720) who was made Solicitor General in Ireland in 1689. He drew up the civil articles in the Treaty of Limerick in 1691, argued the Catholic cause before both Houses of Parliament in 1704, and was buried in St. Jame's Church in dublin. The Irish Builder of Novermber 15th, 1871, points out that the inscription was composed by a Jesuit, the Reverend Miles Byrne, and gives a translation of it. The monument was restored in 1876.
Physical description: 1 drawing : ink ; 27.5 x 19 cm.
Citations/References: The Irish Builder November 15th, 1871; December 1st, 1875; June 1st, 1876 and June 1st, 1877
Citations/References: The Butler Journal / The Journal of the Butler Society. - 1991 Vol. 3, part 3, pages 393-394
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|Coo 2122 TX (4) 61||Prints & Drawings - Appt. only||Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland