Door etc at Clonmacnoice
G.B. ; A.C. Oct. 1799
|Main Creator:||Cooper, Austin, 1759-1830, artist.|
Chancel arch of St. Finghin's Church, Clonmacnoise, County Offaly, Ireland, together with a plan of the doorway, and an inscription concerning Charles Coghlan, Vicar, dated 1647, in front of one of the churches (Temple Doolin), and the inscription concerning Edward Dowling above the door of the same church.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Inscribed in ink m.l.: Door of the Chapel close to the smallest Round Tower.
Inscribed in ink u.r.: Inscription in the Cathedral on the left of the Choir. CAROLUS COGHLANUS VICARIUS GENERALIS CLUANMACNOSE PROPRIIS IMPENDUS HANC DIRUTAM ECCLESIAM RESTAUTAVIT ANNO DOM 1647. N.B. the letters are raised but the date 1647 is engraved. The following Inscription in front of one of the Chapels under a Coat of Arms. M. Edmund Dowling of Clondalare who built this Chappel [sic] to the Greater Glory of God & use of his posterity 1699.
Title inscribed in ink l.r.
Watermark consists of a slight crowned oval which encloses the seated figure of Britannia.
Physical description: 1 drawing : pen & wash ; 20.4 x 29.2 cm.
Citations/References: Ancient Ireland / Jacqueline O'Brien & Peter Harbison. - London, 1996 pages 62-65, with brief bibliography on page 245
Attributed to Austin Cooper (1759-1830), after an original or originals by Gabriel Beranger (c1729-1817), who visited Clonmacnoise on August 12th.13th, 1779 (NLI Ms 4162, pages 28-30).