Ruins of Cathedral of Ferns, Co.y Wexford
A.C. Oct. 1799.
|Main Creator:||Cooper, Austin, 1759-1830, artist.|
Plan of the Cathedral and Priory at Ferns, County Wexford, Ireland, showing the extension of the Cathedral, and the Augustinian priory building with round tower.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Inscribed in ink l.c.: A. Part of the Ancient Cathedral B Part of ditto but is moderinized [sic] for Divine Service C the remains of an ancient building about 130 yards south of the Cahterdal bieing three stories high in the Tower D it has a round tower upon the square one D, but D & E are stuffed full of turf to the very doors & thus inaccessible within.
Inscribed in ink sideways m.r.: There were formerly arched Galleries on each side of the persent Church the remains on the south are seen & form at present a [fosse?], but are not visible to the North where no traces remain of them.
Title inscribed in ink m.c.
Watermark is A Blackwell 1796.
Physical description: 1 drawing : pen & wash ; 20.4 x 28.1 cm.
Attributed to Austin Cooper (1759-1830), who probably copied it from an original by Gabriel Beranger (ca. 1730-1817) or J.J. Barralet (ca. 1747-1815).
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|Coo 2122 TX (4) 25||
|Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.