Doors, Capitals & Windows in Cong Abbey, Co.y Mayo
G.B. ; AC. Oct 1799
|Main Creator:||Cooper, Austin, 1759-1830, artist.|
Details and plans of two of the doorways in the cloister of the Augustinian monastery at Cong, County Mayo, Ireland, dating from the early thirteenth century. Details of one of the vegetal capitals is given. Also shown are the details of a window and other capitals.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Title inscribed in ink l.c. on image.
Physical description: 1 drawing : pen & wash ; image 19.6 x 32.2 cm., pasted onto sheet 20.6 x 29 cm.
Citations/References: The Augustinian Abbey of Saint Mary the Virgin, Cong, Co. Mayo / H.G. Leask. - Journal of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society 19, 1941 pages 107-117
Attributed to Austin Cooper (1759-1830) after an original by Gabriel Beranger (ca. 1730-1817), who visited the abbey of Cong on July 24th, 1779 (see NLI Ms 4162, page 22), at the behest of Colonel William Burton (later Conygham). Austin Cooper bought Burton's antiquarian material in 1810.