View of ye. Abbey of Cong, Co. of Mayo
|Main Creator:||Bigari, Angelo Maria|
View of the east wall of the cloister of the Augustinian monastery at Cong, County Mayo, Ireland. The decorative doorways, depicted in the drawing, date from the early thirteenth century.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Title inscribed in ink l.c. on image.
Physical description: 1 drawing: pen & pencil; image 18.3 x 24.6 cm. pasted onto sheet 19.6 x 28.2 cm.
Citations/References: The Augustinian Abbey of Saint Mary the Virgin, Cong, Co. Mayo / H.G. Leask. - Journal of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society 19, 1941 pages 107-117
Attributed to Angelo Maria Bigari (fl. 1772-1779), who visited Cong with his friend Gabriel Beranger (ca. 1730-1817), on July 24th, 1779. See Gabriel Beranger's account of this visit at NLI, Ms 4162, page 22.