Base of the Columns of St. Mary's in Wexford
G.B. ; J.T. Oct. 1799.
|Main Creator:||Turner, Joseph Reverend ca. 1772-1835, artist|
Details of a column in the Church of St. Mary in the town of Wexford, Ireland, toghether with a cross-section of the base, a plan of the base and a plan of the capital.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Inscribed in ink l.l. on image: G.B..
Inscribed in ink l.r. on image: J.T. Oct. 1799.
The drawing is signed with the initials "G.B. delint.". This indicates that the artist was copying a drawing by Gabriel Beranger (ca. 1730-1817) who visited Kilconnell on July 30th, 1779. This drawing must be of a later date. The writing (the way the word "Co.y" is written and the making bold of the first letter of the place-name) is very similar to the other drawings by Austin Cooper (1759-1830). The original by Gabriel Beranger is now lost.
Title inscribed l.c. on image.
Titles inscribed in ink l.l. and l.r. on image.
Gabriel Beranger visited the church of St. Mary's in Wexford during the period 5th-17th October, 1780, at the behest of Col. William Burton (later Conyngham), into whose collection the orignal drawing (bearing the number 5 went. Conyngham's estate was bought by Austin Cooper long after Conyngham's death in 1796.
Physical description: 1 drawing : pen & wash ; image 20.7 x 27.6 cm., pasted onto sheet 20.7 x 29.4 cm..