East View of Timaho [sic]
Lord Carlow pinx.
|Main Creator:||Portarlington, John Dawson, Earl of, 1744-1798, artist.|
View of the ruins of a church and the well-preserved twelfth-century Round Tower at Timahoe, County Laois, Ireland.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Inscribed in ink l.r.: Lord Carlow pinx.
Title inscribed in ink on verso of drawing.
Inscribed in ink under title: Lord Carlow fecit 1780.
Lord Carlow (also known as John Dawson, Earl of Portarlington, 1744-1798) himself is unlikely to have written the words onthe picture itself. It seems more likely that someone else other than the artist documented it as a work by Lord Carlow in 1780.
When William Burton Conyngham (1733-96) set up the Hibernian Antiquarian Society in 1779, it was surprising that John Dawson (Lord Carlow, later the First Earl of Portarlington) was not invited to join the Society. It is also surprising to find that a picture by Lord Carlow would be found in a collection which has that of William Burton as its basis, or else it was Austin Cooper who garnered the Lord Carlow pictures.
Physical description: 1 drawing : pen & wash ; 15.6 x 23.7 cm.
Citations/References: The Watercolours of Ireland / Anne Crookshank and the Knight of Glin. - London, 1994 page 45, Figure 4 (wrongly described as the ruined Catherdral and Round Tower of Kildare)
Citations/References: The Round Tower and Castle of Timahoe / H.S. Crawford. - Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquarians Ireland 54, 1924 pages 31-45
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|Coo 2122 TX (3) 43||Prints & Drawings - Appt. only||Prints & Drawings|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland.