The Abbey of Tristernaugh Co: of Westmeath
|Main Creator:||Bigari, Angelo Maria|
View of the 13th century Augustian priory of Tristernagh, County Westmeath, Ireland, as seen from the south-east. This building was demolished in 1783. To the far right a group of people dance around a person standing on a dais at the foot of what is probably a flagpole.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Drawing within ink frame 16.7 x 24.4 cm.
Engraving based on this drawing to be found in Volume II of Francis Groses's "Antiquities of Ireland" (London 1791 [but not published till 1796] as Plate 107. Angelo Bigari (fl. 1772-1779) was accompanied by Gabriel Beranger (ca. 1730-1817) who wrote of the trip in his notes (see National Library of Ireland Ms 4162, pages 29-30).
From: Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles, & Towers in Ireland / assembled by Austin Cooper in 1875 (page 30).
Image pasted onto sheet.
Title inscribed in ink l.c.
Physical description: 1 drawing : image 24 x 16 cm., on paper 18.5 x 26.7 cm., mounted on sheet 23.4 x 29.1 cm.
Citations/References: Ardagh and Tristernagh (Journal of the Ardagh and Clonmacnoise Antiquarian Society 2 (9). - Dr. McNamee pages 3-17
Attributed to Angelo Maria Bigari (fl. 1772-1779).