Tristernagh Abbey Second View
|Main Creator:||Bigari, Angelo Maria|
View through the octagonal crossing tower of the former Augustinian priory of ca. 1200 at Tristernagh, County Westmeath, Ireland. On the right is a most unusually-shaped doorway. Three figures are positioned at the centre of the drawing.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
From: Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles, & Towers in Ireland / assembled by Austin Cooper in 1875 (page 29).
Engraving based on this drawing to be found in Volume II of RFramncis Groses's "Antiquities of Ireland" (London 1791 (but not published till 1796) as Plate 108.
According to a letterpress accompanying the engraving, the original was done by Angelo Maria Bigari (fl. 1772-1779) and in the collection of the Right Honourable William Conyngham (formely Burton).
Title inscribed in ink l.c.
Drawing within ink frame 24.4 x 16.7 cm.
Image pasted onto sheet.
Physical description: 1 drawing : image 24 x 16.3 cm., on paper 26 x 18.4 cm., mounted on sheet 29.1 x 23.3 cm.
Citations/References: Ardagh and Tristernagh (Journal of the Ardagh and Clonmacnoise Antiquarian Society 2 (9). - Dr. McNamee pages 3-17
Attributed to Angelo Maria Bigari (fl. 1772-1779).
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|Coo 2122 TX (3) 29||
|Prints & Drawings|