Clonmacnoise King's County
|Main Creator:||Bigari, Angelo Maria|
View of the interior of St. Finghin's Church at Clonmacnoise, County Offaly, Ireland, showing the Romanesque chancel arch and the stout Round Tower beside it, with its herring-bone masonry on the conical cap. In the foreground stands a solitary figure.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
[12th/13th August, 1779].
Drawing never engraved. Original drawing (now lost) on which this drawing would have been based was made by Bigari on a visit to Clonmacnoise, County Offaly, Ireland, on August 12th-13th, 1779, where he was accompanied by Gabriel Beranger (ca. 1730-1817), as stated in Beranger's notes (see NLI Ms 4162, page 28).
Drawing within ink frame 24.1 x 16.5 cm.
From: Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles, & Towers in Ireland / assembled by Austin Cooper in 1875 (page 28).
Image pasted onto sheet.
Title inscribed in ink l.c.
Physical description: 1 drawing : image 23.8 x 16.3 cm., on paper 26.3 x 19.2 cm., mounted on sheet 29.1 x 24.2 cm.
Citations/References: Ancient Ireland / Jacqueline O'Brien & Peter Harbison. - London 1996 pages 62-65 with brief bibliography on page 245
Attributed to Angelo Maria Bigari (fl. 1772-1779).