The Abbey of Roscommon
|Main Creator:||Bigari, Angelo Maria|
View from the south-west of the ruined thirteenth century Dominican abbey in the town of Roscommon, County Roscommon, Ireland.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
[6th August, 1779].
Drawing engraved as Pl. 67 in Volume II of Francis Grose's "Antiquities of Ireland" (London 1791 (not published till 1796). The original was executed on August 6th, 1779, when Bigari was on a tour of Connacht with his friend Gabriel Beranger (ca. 1730-1817), who made a note of the visit (see National Library of Ireland Ms 4162, page 27).
Drawing within ink frame 16.5 x 24.4 cm.
From: Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles, & Towers in Ireland / assembled by Austin Cooper in 1875 (page 27).
Image pasted onto sheet.
Title inscribed in ink l.c.
Physical description: 1 drawing : image 16.3 x 24.1 cm., on paper 18.6 x 26 cm., mounted on sheet 24.3 x 29.2 cm.
Citations/References: Irish Churches and Monastic Buildings, Vol. II / H.G. Leask. - Dundalk, 166 edition pages 114-115
Attributed to Angelo Maria Bigari (fl. 1772-1779).