|Main Creator:||Bigari, Angelo Maria|
View of a part of the ancient monastic enclosure of Inishmurray, County Sligo, Ireland. Visible from left to right are a beehive cell, St. Molaise House, the Monastery, and the corner of Teampull an Teineadh.
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
From: Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles, & Towers in Ireland / assembled by Austin Cooper in 1875 (page 9).
Drawing looks as if it had been prepared for engraving. It was never engraved. It is very much in the style of Angelo Maria Bigari, who visited Inishmurray Island, County Sligo, Ireland, in the company of his fellow-artist Gabriel Beranger (ca. 1730-1817) and his host of the time, Col. Irwin of Tanrego House in Sligo. According to Peter Harbison, the drawing was presumably based on a lost original, drawing on June 24th/25th, 1779. Inscribed in ink u.r. is the number 10, which correspond to Beranger's notes of the tour (see NLI Ms 4162, pages 7-8).
Drawing within ink frame 16.5 x 24.3 cm. No watermark visible.
Image pasted onto sheet.
Physical description: 1 drawing : image 15.9 x 23.8 cm., on paper 19.2 x 27.2 cm., on sheet 24.5 x 29.2 cm.
Citations/References: Ireland of the Welcomes 42, No. 5. - September-October 1993 page 31
Citations/References: Memoir of Gabriel Beranger / Sir William Wilde. - Dublin 1880 pages 46-48
Attributed to Angelo Maria Bigari (fl. 1772-1779).
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|Coo 2122 TX (3) 9||Prints & Drawings - Appt. only||Prints & Drawings|