Castle of Tecroghan, Co.y Meath
Thos. Ashworth delt. ; A.C. pint. 25th Oct.r 1794
|Main Creator:||Cooper, Austin, 1759-1830, artist|
View of the remains of two remarkable towers, the thinner one with a conical roof on the right, the broader tower with a decorative doorway on the left (no longer extant). In the background to the left of the broader tower is a gable of a church
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
Another copy of this drawing by Gabriel Beranger is in the Special Collection of University College, Dublin, catalogued as Wat.7
From: Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles & c. & c. in Ireland, Vol. II
Inscription in ink on facing page (probably by Austin Damer Cooper (1831-1900): About a mile beyond the bridge of Clonard, towards the west, we find the ruins of the old fortress of Ticroghan or Queen Mary's Castle, as it is sometimes styled ... In its vicinity some remains of the walls of an ancient church and burial ground which formerly contained an antique font ...
Title inscribed in ink l.c. on sheet
Watermark u.l. on sheet is part of a large shield, crowned
Physical description: 1 drawing image 11.7 x 11.7 cm., on sheet 18.3 x 26.7 cm.
Citations/References: An Eighteenth Century Antiquary : The Sketches, Notes and Diaries of Austin Cooper (1759-1830) / Liam Price (ed.). - Dublin, 1942 Plate 42
Citations/References: Archaeological Inventory of County Meath / Michael J. Moore (compiler). - Dublin, 1987 page 183, No. 1835