Abbey of Bective, Co.y Meath
G. Beranger delint. ; A.C. pinxt. 19 Oct. 1794
|Main Creator:||Cooper, Austin, 1759-1830, artist|
View of Bective Abbey, County Meath, Ireland, a 12th century Cistercian foundation. On the left is a late medieval tower at one corner of the roughly square group of buildings, while on the right is a gable belonging to a rebuilding after the abbey was dissolved at the Reformation
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
From: Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles & c. & c. in Ireland, Vol. II
Inscription on facing page: Bective founded by O Melaglin Prince of Meath in 1146-48 or 1151, for monks of the Cistercian order. It was called in Irish Sendrede or "the old Bridge" ... An arcade of pointed cinquefoil arches supported by light clustered pillars, decorated with elegantly carved capitals, separates the cloister from the courtyard or quadrangle, on the southern side ...
See NLI Ms. 1415, page 34, for Gabriel Beranger's comments on Bective Abbey
Title inscribed in ink l.c. on sheet
Watermark u.l. on sheet is EDARY (probably part of the name Villedary) with two letters above
Physical description: 1 drawing diam. image 14.5 cm., on sheet 18.3 x 26.7 cm.
Citations/References: Bective Abbey, County Meath / H.G. Leask. - Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 46, 1916 pages 46-57
Citations/References: Beranger's Views of Ireland / Peter Harbison. - Dublin, 1992 page 17