G. Beranger delint. ; A.C. pinxt. 18 April 1794
|Main Creator:||Cooper, Austin, 1759-1830, artist|
Six separate drawings on one sheet. Drawing u.l. on image has the inscription "View of the Monument of the Trinity built of Stone without Mortar" under it. Drawing l.l. has the inscription "Plan" (of the above drawing). Drawing u.c. has the inscription "View of St. Molaise's Cell, stone roofed". Drawing l.c. has the inscription "Plan" (of the above drawing) and "place of statue" indicated also by two footmarks. Drawing m.r shows statue with inscription"Statue of St. Molaise, carved wood". Drawing on far right on image "View of the Cursing Altar & the round Stones"
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
From: Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles & c. & c. in Ireland, Vol. II
Several drawings and plans on one sheet. Gabriel Beranger's original of the drawing u.l. on image can be seen (in mirror image) in Vol. II of Grose's Antiquities of Ireland (London, dated 1791 but not before 1796)
Title inscribed in ink l.c. on sheet under image
Inscribed in ink within drawing l.r. on image: 12 feet diameter
Watermark u.l. on sheet consists of the letter "V". Pasted-on piece of paper bears the watermark the seated Britannia with sceptre and shield within crowned oval cartouche
The original Beranger drawing was executed on a visit to the island on Jun 24th-26th, 1779, as recorded in Sir William Wilde's "Memoir of Gabriel Beranger" (Dublin, 1880), pages 46-48, and in a letter from Beranger published in "Ireland of the Welcomes" (September-October 1993), pages 30-34
Physical description: 1 drawing image 17.1 x 25.4 cm., on sheet 18.3 x 26.7 cm.
Citations/References: A Survey of the Antiquarian Remains on the island of Inishmurray / W.F. Wakeman. - London/Edinburgh, 1893
Citations/References: Inishmurray, Ancient Monastic Island / Patrick Heraughty. - Dublin, 1982 (re-issued 1996)
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|Coo 2122 TX (2) 34||Prints & Drawings - Appt. only||Prints & Drawings|