A S:E: View of Monasterboice, Co:y Louth
A:C: delint. 17th April 1786 ; Pinxt. 24th April 1786
|Main Creator:||Cooper, Austin, 1759-1830, artist|
View of the ancient monastery of Monasterboice, County Louth, Ireland, showing a Round Tower, two High Crosses and two churches, that on the right having a further extension with large south doorway which no longer exists. Numerous gravestones can also be seen
|Format:||PRINTS & DRAWINGS|
|Published / Created:||
From: Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles & c. & c. in Ireland, Vol. II
Image within ink frame 9.7 x 15.6 cm. Watermark u.l. on sheet is part of a shield
Inscribed in ink on facing page, probably by Austin Damer Cooper: Monasterboice 4 miles from Drogheda founded close of 5th century by St Buit from which Monasterbuit or Monasterboyce. There are two chapels here. The Round Tower is 90 feet high, 17 yards in circum at base. Door 5f 6 high 22 inches wide 6 feet from ground. Very fine Cross 18 feet high represents scriptural subjects ... The large Cross consists of three stones the central one being circular. There is a second Cross less in size but superior in artistic design and execution ...
Title inscribed in ink l.c. under image
Physical description: 1 drawing image 9.2 x 15.1 cm., on sheet 18.2 x 26.7 cm.
Citations/References: Monasterboice and its Monuments / Helen M. Roe. - 1981