Collection: The Lawrence Photograph Collection >> The Colony, Achill [graphic]
The Colony, Achill
|Main Creator:||French, Robert, 1841-1917 photographer|
|Published / Created:||
The Colony, also known as the Mission, was established in 1831 by the Reverand Edward Nangle, a Protestant Minister. The Colony settlement included houses, schools, an orphanage, a small hospital and a hotel. It was successful and even published a newspaper the Achill Missionary Herald. During the Famine years they offered food and accommodation to locals willing to convert from Catholicism to the Protestant faith. After some years of decline the Colony closed in the 1880's, and Nangle died in 1883.
Robert French was the chief photographer responsible for photographing three quarters of the Lawrence Collection. For more information, see the Dictionary of Irish Biography: http://dib.cambridge.org/viewReadPage.do?articleId=a3369
Physical description: 1 negative : glass ; 17 x 22 cm.
Geographic Coverage: Achill Island, County Mayo, Province of Connacht, Ireland.
Caption on glassplate reads: The Colony. Achill. 168. W. L.
|Contained in:||The Lawrence Photograph Collection|
|Call Number||View in||Collection|
|L_ROY_00168||NPA Reading Room - Appt. only||Photos|
Reproduction rights owned by National Library of Ireland