Irish Labour Party Archive, 1919-2014
The Labour Party was founded in May 1912 in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary, when delegates at the Irish Trade Union Congress voted to contest elections on the proposal of James Connolly. This was done to seek trade union representation in the new Irish ‘Home Rule’ parliament due to be created under the terms of the Third Home Rule (Government of Ireland) Bill debated in the House of Commons in 1912. The Labour Party first contested the general election of 1922 and served as the parliamentary opposition of the Irish Free State between 1922-1927. The Labour Party has participated in Government on eight occasions: 1948-1951; 1954-1957; 1973-1977; June 1981-March 1982; December 1982-1987; 1993-1994; 1994-1997; and 2011-present. Six leaders of the Labour Party have served in the office of Tánaiste: William Norton; Brendan Corish; Michael O’Leary; Dick Spring; Eamon Gilmore; and Joan Burton. Two candidates nominated by the Labour Party have been elected to the office of President of Ireland, Mary Robinson, who served from 1990-97, and Michael Daniel Higgins, elected in 2011. The collection is principally composed of the records held in the various headquarters of the Labour Party from 1919-2014. It includes: minutes of meetings of various units of the organisation; published reports, conference documentation; manifestos and policy statements; files concerning local, presidential, European and general election campaigns; files concerning constitutional referendum campaigns; periodicals; photographic prints; election ephemera; financial accounts; donations; staff files; and correspondence.
|Main Creator:||Labour Party (Ireland)|
|Corporate Author:||Labour Party (Ireland)|
Note. The Labour Party has merged with other political parties on three occasions. It merged with the National Labour Party, formed in 1944 as a break-away from the Labour Party, in 1950. The party merged with the Democratic Socialist Party (DSP), originally founded in 1972 by Jim Kemmy, in 1990. It also merged with the Democratic Left (DL) party in 1999, which had been formed as a break-away faction of the Workers Party in 1992.
Note. The Labour Party was initially known as the ‘parliamentary committee’ of the Irish Trade Union Congress (ITUC). In 1914 the organisation changed its name to the Irish Trade Union Congress and Labour Party (ITUC & LP). In 1917 it again changed its name when it became the Irish Labour Party and Trade Union Congress (ILP & TUC). In 1930 the Irish Trade Union Congress and the Labour Party became separate entities.
Associated Materials: Irish Labour History Society, Beggars Bush, Haddington Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4, Ireland. A collection of Labour Party papers principally including: Dáil constituency organisation; files concerning members of the parliamentary Labour Party; and membership lists. These materials were deposited with the ILHS in 2001 and span the period 1967-2001. Finding aid is a collection list prepared in 2003.
Physical description: 79 boxes.
Physical description: 1252 photographs.
Parallel title: Irish Labour Party Papers
Parallel title: Labour Party Archive
Parallel title: Labour Party (Ireland) Archive
|Contained in:||Irish Labour Party Archive, 1919-2014|
I. Organisational Governance, 1969-2010; II. Electioneering, 1932-2012; III. Policy Positions, 1968-2011; IV. Membership Development, 1974-2012; V. Fraternal Relations, 1919-2011; VI. Finance, 1967-2010; VII. Personnel, 1983-2010; VIII. Democratic Left, 1992-2002; IX. Ephemera, 1969-2014.
1972 Mar. 15.View more information ...
|In Collection:||Irish Labour Party Archive, 1919-2014|
Minutes of the Administrative Council which took place on 15 Mar 1972 principally concerning: co-option of members nominated by the Western Regional Council; the appointment of trustees; the establishment of and appointment of members to committees; party finances; approval of a marriage grant for Una Murray; the proposed sale of Party Headquarters, 20 Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin, County Dublin; appointment of European Economic Community referendum campaign committee; and proposed support for Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP) and Northern Ireland Labour Party (NILP) membership of Socialist International (SI). Minutes signed by Roddy Connolly, Party Chair. Also includes: agenda; correspondence from Gerry Boyle, Western Regional Council Chairperson, concerning co-options; international affairs report; two copies of a circular to branch secretaries issued by the General Secretary; notice of meeting of the first meeting of the newly elected Administrative Council; two copies of memorandum concerning the proposed sale of Party Headquarters, 20 Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin, County Dublin; correspondence from the General Secretary to members of the Administrative Council outlining the decisions taken at the meeting on the 15 Mar 1972; text of the address of Roddy Connolly, Party Chair, to the diamond jubilee Party conference 1972; report of the part auditors, D. O’Connor & Company, 9 Parnell Square, Dublin 1, County Dublin dated 16 Feb 1972; text of motion concerning Rhodesia; and three copies of income and expenditure account for Jan – Feb 1972. (38 pp)
|Main Creator:||Labour Party (Ireland)|
1 folder (11 items)
|Call Number:||MS 49,494 /40 (Manuscripts Reading Room)|
Copyright owned by the National Library of Ireland.