Lawrence Photographic Project Collection [graphic]
The Lawrence Collection in the National Library of Ireland consists of about 40,000 glass plate photographic negatives of Irish scenes dating from the period 1870 to 1910. The Lawrence Photographic Project 1990/1991 was a nationwide endeavour coordinated by the Federation of Local History Societies and the Federation for Ulster Local Studies, where a thousand scenes from the Lawrence Collection were replicated approximately one hundred years later by a team of 77 volunteer photographers, thereby creating a modern collection to complement the Lawrence Collection. The objective was to facilitate the future study of the changing topography of cities, towns and rural areas throughout Ireland by recording on film the constant changes in the physical environment. Scenes were selected based on perceived significance, variety of subject (with an emphasis on street scenes) and geographical spread. As well as placing a full set of prints (the Lawrence and the new) with the National Library of Ireland and the Ulster Museum, the Federation of Local History Societies and the Federation For Ulster Local Studies also distributed a set of prints relating to scenes within each county in the Republic of Ireland to the corresponding county library. In Northern Ireland, a set of prints was distributed to the five Education and Library Boards.
|Published / Created:||
Individual items in the Lawrence Photographic Project 1990/1991 collection are catalogued under call no., title and subject.
Sponsored by Fuji Ireland Ltd.
Includes contact prints.
Run of call numbers 1-89, including A numbers. 61, 68, 69, 75 CBF.
Physical description: prints 671 : b&w.
Physical description: prints 3808 : col.
Physical description: 34 boxes ; in mylar, in phase boxes.
Physical description: plastic negatives 3752 : col.
Finding Aids: Published catalogue available at the Reading Room counter in the National Library of Ireland and the National Photographic Archive.
|Contained in:||The Lawrence Photographic Project 1990/1991|